6/4/15

Exploring Abstraction (May & June 2015)

Some more acrylic skins.  I tried to color correct, but it is still way too yellow.

The caulk painting.  I started a composition.  Remember I told you to pick your favorite area and start accentuating it to form a center of interest.  You also want to accentuate interesting areas and move the viewer's eye around with value, color, and shape. 

I have softened some edges and am continuing to work on this to make it an interesting painting. 

This is the acrylic painting split into 5 sections so I could paint the 5 grounds/gesso .  From left to right - Winsor & Newton Clear Gesso, Liquitex Clear Gesso , Colourfix Clear, Golden's Acrylic Ground for Pastel, Daniel Smith Transparent Watercolor Ground.  I have added a little pencil in a few arwas (blue and yellow) as well as some blue and red watercolor over acrylic on the right in the watercolor ground section.

This is an object tracing abstraction.  I used rolls of tape, various sizes as well as my round containers and bottles.  I did a series of these with tape rolls long ago.  You can use any object you wish.  i have done keys, tools, rulers, kitchen utensils, etc. The idea is to make an interesting pattern and variety of shapes.  I of course need to do more, but it's a start.