10/22/15

Sertoma Mixed Media (October, November, December 2015)

This started with the background.  I used bristol board and watercolor.  I wet the paper and dropped in the color and left it.  After it was dry I transferred the drawing (only the essential lines).  I then used black and white ink ( a black acurit pen and a white jelly roll pen).  I have used line, pointillism, scumbling/scribbling marks.

This started with the background, acrylic on watercolor paper (student grade).  I wet the paper, dropped in color, and put plastic wrap over it and let it dry.  I have used a black acurit pen, white acrylic, and colored pencil.

Plastic wrap texture.  Wet the paper, drop in color, place the plastic wrap on top (bunch it up some), allow to dry.  For all of these textures you can use watercolor, acrylic, or gouache.

Wax Paper texture.  Wet the paper, drop in color, place the wax paper top (crunch it a little first), place a book on top, allow to dry.

Salt texture.  Wet the paper, drop on color, when it is still shiny but not a puddle sprinkle on salt (you can use a variety from table salt to sea salt, etc.), allow to dry, brush the salt off.

Rubber cement texture.  Dribble and/or brush on rubber cement, allow it to dry, wet paper and drop in color, allow it to dry, dribble and/or brush more rubber cement, allow to dry, wet paper and add paint, etc. for as many layers as you wish (I usually do 3 - 5).

Wet paper, drop in color, allow it to dry.

Wet paper, drop in color, splatter with color, allow to dry.

The ornament on the right has a watercolor under painting.  I have started putting the Prismacolor colored pencil on top.  The ornament on the left has an Inktense watercolor pencil under painting.  I just started putting the Prismacolor colored pencil on top.

Watercolor under painting on Stonehenge paper. 

More watercolor on Stonehenge paper.  The next step will be using my Prismacolor colored pencils.

This is something I showed in class.  I did this in a class with Jackie Balog.  It is done on a watercolor canvas panel.  We transferred the drawing and painted the background with black gesso.  We then used Inktense watercolor pencils and colored on the bird, branches, leaves, and background and wet it.  After it was dry we sprayed it with workable fixative and drew with Prismacolor colored pencils.  It needs more color and dark values, but  I am close to complete.