1/22/18

Sertoma Continuing Watercolor Jan. & Feb. 2018

I worked a little more on the mountains.  I wet the grass area, dropped in color (greens and browns), and laid saran wrap on top to make texture.  After that was dry I mixed a dark (phthalo blue and pyrrol scarlet), wet the tree area, and put the color in from the bottom up letting the trees become fuzzy at the top since  these are the background trees.  I also dropped in some orange while they were wet. We will add more trees that will become more hard edged and detailed as they come towards us.  The grass area needs layers of color and especially value which we will do next class.

I worked on more of the petals making a few more passes as I added shadows and scrubbed highlights.  The shadows and values are necessary to give the petals form, to make them appear 3D and rounded.  I glazed the background with yellow and a little more red. I them discussed how the background could get darker or lighter depending on what the piece needs for contrast and for the artichoke to "pop".  I showed the white gouache at the top as one way to lighten.  You can also scrub with a magic eraser or lift with a brush and scrubbie.  I worked on the first pass on the stem as well.  It needs more shadows and texture still.