1/8/18

Continuing Watercolor January and February 2018

We started this by wetting the background (making it really wet so the paint will move), dropping in some greens and yellow, and then adding salt when the paper wetness was best. The best time to add salt is when the paper is still wet and shiny but not puddled.  After it dried I demonstrated how to soften edges with water, a brush and a paper towel (to remove the excess water).  I demonstrated painting a petal (this is the first pass).  I dampened the petal (damp, not wet), and then start painting and shaping the petal.  I used a yellow green and a blue green both mixed with different ratios of warm yellow (mine is quin. gold) and purple blue (mine is ultramarine).  After that was dry I did 4 areas of glazing - red, blue, yellow and rich green gold.  I will eventually glaze the entire background to soften the texture as it is too busy. 

I started this by wetting the paper and adding Ultramarine blue and shaping it to make sky, mountains, and textures.  this is my under painting.  After that was dry I started painting the mountains.  I dampened the area first and then added blue and shaped the values.  I used a paper towel a little to add texture.  I need to finish the mountains on the upper left and a small piece on the right.