10/4/19

DAC CP October, 2019

Colored pencil on colored mat board.  Step one is to use white or cream or light peach to shade in the values of the giraffe.  I shade in light layers that I build up to the lightest value.

Step two is to use either burnt ochre, sienna brown and/or terra cotta to shade in the spots and the mane.

I added the eye using some color first and then I used black.  I added light highlights with white but kept them from being pure white since the eye is in shadow.  On the neck I started shading the spots.  I added some cream onto the spots especially around the edges in the direction of the fur.  I added some dark brown and some red and terra cotta.  If you study the spots they are not the same value or shade of brown.  I used dark brown to lightly add the shadows on the neck.  I added white to the lightest parts of the neck.  I added some burnt ochre to light parts of the neck, again in the direction of the fur.  Next class I will work on the face and head and the mane, adding shadows and highlights.  I will keep refining the neck as well.