10/9/19

DAC CP October, 2019

I worked on the neck a bit more and also worked around the eye, on the horns and on sections of the face.  It is still in the middle of the process as it needs more values, color, and details.  I will continue to refine as I go, especially looking at the values along with color and detail.  The colors I have used are cream, white, black, burnt ochre, dark brown, terra cotta, true blue, pomegranate, spanish orange, scarlet lake, indigo.

This is colored pencil on Artspectrum Colourifx olive green sanded pastel paper.  I start the process when working on a medium or dark color tinted surface with a light color such as white (or cream, or another light color).  I did this value study in white.  I finish the value study before adding color.  The picture of this piece has a shadow over it and is off a little color wise due to the lighting under which the photo was taken.

I started adding color.  On the red grape I used scarlet lake and pomegranate.  You can also use permanent red for the warm if you don;t have scarlet lake.  Crimson red is a nice mid red that leans a little cool so it can work alone or with other reds.  Crimson lake will work as the cool red if you don't have pomegranate.
On the green grape I used yellow chartreuse, olive green, and grass green with a little dark green at the bottom on the dark part.  I did olive green over the entire grape first.  Then I did grass green at the bottom and faded it up towards the middle of the grape.  Then I did yellow chartreuse from the top down and shaded it lightly over the grass green to blend them together. I did a little dark green from the bottom fading it up just a little.
On the purple grape I used black grape and pomegranate.  Indigo will work as the dark and crimson lake as the red if you are missing one of the colors.
On the stem I have used yellow chartreuse so far.
These are the beginning layers.  There are more layers to add as we go along in the process.