8/29/19

NCBG ICP August, 2019

This is how it looked at the beginning of class.

I demonstrated how to make changes to the background.  I used an eraser to erase color from the areas of the background I want to change (this removes the color, except for the stain of color, and allows for more pencil to be added).  I then add white over the erased area and after that I add the color I wish the area to be over the white.  I blend with a stump or my finger.  To get the softer edges - I overlap the colors and often use white or a lighter color over that and then often another layer of color with overlap and then I blend with a stump.  Try all the blending and layering to get some practice and to come up with methods that work for you.

This is how it looked at the beginning of class.

First I added canary yellow into some of the more yellow areas of the pear.  Then I used yellow chartreuse, grass green, dark green, scarlet lake to start layering the color over the white, do this lightly.  I shaded scarlet lake on the branches and canary yellow and scarlet lake on the big leaf and scarlet lake, grass green and yellow chartreuse on the small piece of leaf.

I used yellow chartreuse, grass green, dark green, scarlet lake, spanish orange, black grape, indigo, and white.  I started working on adding the various textures, adjusting the values as I work.  On the branch I started shading it using black grape, indigo, white and scarlet lake.  May add other colors as I go.

Using the same colors as above, I continued work on the textures and details.  I started adding the brown spots and imperfections and the dots that pears have.  I added a little color, very lightly, to the white highlights and worked on making the transitions smooth.  I worked on the big leaf using black grape, white and indigo to shape it and then dark brown lightly on top.  On the green part I used dark green, yellow chartreuse, indigo and white to shape it.  Still more of the same to do all over the pear.

When I am done I believe I will keep the background black.  As usual, I have smudges and scratches on the surface.  I plan to shade with black over the entire background surface.  This will clean it up, make it uniform, and I can clean up edges.  I could choose to shade with a dark color instead of black or I could use a variety of colors and make a background.