8/15/19

NCBG ICP August 2019

Black and White side view with white paper behind it.  I have started adding color on the color side.  I will be making adjustments to this as needed while I work on the color side.  I will be lifting/erasing to lighten and using my dark color to darken.

Color side with white paper behind it.  On the flower petals I have used pale vermilion, canary yellow, yellow chartreuse, scarlet lake to shade the petals.  On the leaves I have used grass green, yellow chartreuse, scarlet lake.  I have lightly shaded scarlet lake and Spanish orange on the middle seed section and some indigo to darken it near the petals.  On the bird I have used grass green, dark brown, terra cotta, and indigo.

This is colored pencil and solvents on hot press watercolor paper.  There are two methods used here.  I shaded the color onto the grape and then use a brush and rubbing alcohol to melt the wax and blend the color. On the other method I shaved the pencil into a container (I use metal jar lids), add rubbing alcohol, and mix it into a puddle of color.  I then paint it onto the grape.  To lighten the color add more rubbing alcohol.

For the red grapes I used a combination of crimson red, scarlet lake, and pomegranate. In the shadows I added black grape.  For the purple grape I used the same 4 colors but added much more black grape to the mix.  For the green grape and stem I used grass green, dark green, yellow chartreuse and spanish orange.  I added little spots of scarlet lake into the stem and melted it.  I need to add a blush of red into the green grape still.  and I need to do the other green grape.