1/28/15

Continuing Watercolor (January and February 2015)

I added more values and color and a few more details to the brass coffee press.  I added a bit more of the bronze color to the left side of the plate.  I need to work on the top part of the plate as most of it is unfinished.

I did a bit of painting in the background (negative painting) as well as painting one of the leaves (started at least).  I gently, with a brush and water, cleaned the edges of the pear and let it dry.  Later I wet the pear and did the first layer of color and value and texture.  I also painted the back, larger branch.  After it was dry I painted the dark shadow on the bottom of the pear, added the bottom 'hairs' and defined the bottom with a shadow and highlight.  I also then painted the top branch.

I started with the sky.  I wet the area and added cobalt, a little darker the the top.  I also wet the water (sounds funny...) and added cobalt there as well.  Then I moved to the bottom/front, wet the area, and dropped in color and added salt.  It needs shadows in order to make this area lay down.  I will show you when I get back.  After it was dry I wet the part right below the sky.  I added green at the top and some burnt sienna and brown as well as more green.  I put the darker browns near the bases of the trees in that area (missed a few).  I pulled the color up at the top with a damp brush making a haze of far away trees.  I also softened the bottom of this area to avoid a hard line. I wanted this area to be soft, less detailed, and less colorful.