1/17/15

BAL Mixed Media (January and February 2015)

I worked on the body, adding colors (scarlet lake, true blue, aquamarine) before I used the black.  I put the black over the colors I had added.  Later I used white for the highlights and feather texture around his neck.  I showed you how to melt the pencil (with goo gone gel) and how to use a stiff brush to work the pencil in.I added highlights and shadows and many layers of the pencil.  The background needs work which I plan to do next class.

I worked on the pear with some greens (dark green and chartreuse), a red, yellow, and white. I paid attention to the values - the shadows and the highlights.  I also did a leaf (same colors as the pear) and the branch.  The main thing - pay attention to the values. 

This is the background for the next project.  I used student grade watercolor paper, wet it, and used a dark color allowing my brushstrokes to show.  I added salt, a bit late sadly, so I sprayed a fine mist to create texture.  I will use white transfer paper to transfer the drawing of the man.

This is a demo sheet I used to show you how to melt the pencils with goo gone gel (two on the top left), how to use a brush to mix (top right), and the Jelly Roll white ink pen over black ink.