3/25/21

NCBG AEW March, 2021

 

Before Class.  This is the underpainting.


This was done between classes.  The work time was longer than the length of class so I did this to show you where this can go as far as detail.

I mixed a black.  Using the 3 primaries, leaned toward blue is the usual way to get a black or grey.  I used pthalo blue green shade and pyrrole scarlet, I did not need yellow becasue the red leans towards yellow and the blue leans towards green.  I mixed a brown with the same two colors but had more red in the mix and added a little yellow.  Brown is made with the 3 primaries leaned towards red and yellow.  I also made a dark greenpthalo blue, aureolin yellow, and a little yellow deep (warm yellow)..  

I added these 3 dark colors wet-on-dry to the background in various values from medium to dark (using water to lighten as needed) and let the edges mix or overlap. I then added some rose in some areas. I also did a light glaze of yellow to unify the background colors.  

I worked on the leaves using a dark bue green color I mixed with pthalo blue, aureolin yellow, and a little yellow deep (warm yellow).  I made textues almost like scribbling.  I make the white lines two ways - either working around them (negative painting) or I used a brush and paper towel to lift them out.  Then I added a shadow under or to the left of the line and added more texture in the spaces between the lines.  After that was dry i added a light yellow or red (near the petals on the leaf)  glaze in some areas.

I worked on the petals.  I added more rose in some areas to add shadows and texture.  For the shadows I layered slightly darker rose and added some ultramarine blue in some shadow areas.  I used the photo as my guide and pay attention to the values, this is mostly value work and secondarily color work.  

I also added some glazes of warm red (pyrrole scarlet) to some of the shadows on the left that glow (from light shining through).  I also added the warm red in several other areas using the photo as my guide.

I worked on the stamen adding warm yellow to the anther.  After that dried I added a warm brown to make shadows and a smaller amount of darker brown to deepen part of the shadow.  I added a very loight gray to the filaments and later added some yellow.

I worked on additional areas during class showing during demonstrartion time what I had done at home.