2/6/20

BAL CP&MM February, 2020

This is Stonehenge Aqua 300 lb. cold press watercolor paper.  It is not heavily textured so I like it for mixed media.  I also use the 140 lb. and their hot press for colored pencil and mixed media.  I do not love it for watercolor only painting.  I wet the paper, very wet so the paint will move, and dropped in color.  I used prussian blue (a green blue) and several mixtures of turquoise and green mixed with prussian blue and aureolin yellow (a cool yellow).  I made it lighter by adding some water to one end.  I wanted it a little lighter at the top (since ocean water is lighter near the top). When it was still wet, but not puddled I added the salt.  I used both large salt and fine salt.  This took the entire class and beyond to dry.  We will transfer the turtles in the next class.

This is Strathmore toned gray paper.  I started this by transferring with white transfer paper and then using a textured stroke in the direction of the feathers I started shading the bird.  on the branches I used a scribbled texture.  I have more to do before adding the darks and color.

This is Strathmore toned gray paper.  I started this by transferring with white transfer paper and then using a white pencil and smooth circular stroke adding the highlights and lights.  I then started using black grape to add the darks, again using the smooth circular stroke (you could use indigo in place of the black grape). For the red grapes I used scarlet lake and pomegranate over the white and black grape areas (you can use crimson lake for the pomegrante or crimson red to replace either or both reds).  I then added some spanish orange on the bottom of the left side grape and the left side of the background red grape (you can use canary yellow to replace spanish orange).  I have several more layers to demo in the next class.  For the stem I added yellow chartreuse and spanish orange with a little black grape at the top.