11/7/19

NCBG IEW October and November, 2019


Watercolor pouring, this has had 2 passes so far.  First I transferred the drawing.  I used Pebeo drawing gum to save some of the whites (any masking fluid or miskit or friskit will work).  I mixed some watercolor paint in a jar.  I made 4 colors - warm red, cool yellow, warm yellow and then a mixture of both blues.  You can mix any colors you wish.  I sprayed the paper and poured the paint, mostly the yellow and red for the first pass.  You can also use a pipette to add the paint.  I moved the paper around which moved the paint.  The more you move it around the more the colors mix.  I let this dry and then did some more masking concentrating mostly on the spikes.  I poured again adding the red and the blue and moved the paper less.  I plan to mask more spikes and do at least one more pour, maybe two more, before class.  Then I will remove the masking and finish by painting details and shadows with a brush and lifting as needed.


I worked more the the bracts.  I started adding some dark shadows (I mixed a dark using the primaries leaning it towards green). I also started adding some of the medium shadows and form and the texture of the bracts.  I wet the stem and into the leaves in order to keep a hard line from forming where the leaves meet the stem.  I used green and dropped it down the length of the stem.  I dropped in some yellow and some red as well as some blue green.  As it started to dry and was in the "danger zone" of watercolor I ran my damp brush (not a wet brush or you will get blooms) down the length to start getting the striations.