11/22/19

NCBG IEW October and November, 2019

Artichoke from another class.  I did a wash of green with splatters of yellow and darker green over this artichoke that was only partially done to show you how you can use white gouache when you lose all the whites.  I think i will finish this as a gouache piece.

How it looked before class.

I added some dark thorns and more texture of the fur like texture inside the shell.  I added darks and textures to parts of the shell.  I darkened the right chestnut.  I lifted the highlight on the shell with a damp brush for the left chestnut and used a scrubber for the right chestnut (in order to demonstrate both). I then demonstrated the use of some white gouache to add some light needles and on the left side to lighten the background around the shadow.  I used the same colors as before - the browns made with warm and cool red plus purple blue and green blue plus warm yellow.  I leaned one brown toward the blues and one toward the reds. 

An example from another class.

I demonstrated the layers of painting for the 2 leaves (the right one is not quite done yet).  I did several layers using mixed green.  The green I use most is my green blue mixed with my warm yellow.  To darken the green I add either more blue or red or both sometimes.  For the yellow green areas I dropped in cool yellow.  For blue green areas I dropped in some blue or blue green or glaze with those colors.  I demonstrated more petals.  I used quin. rose and ultramarine blue for the petals.  I do them in layers building to the mediums and darks.  The dark rose color I started in the middle shadow part of the flower was quin. rose with a little green added to darken the rose.  I may also use ultramarine blue in some areas to darken.  I glazed the left half of the background with rich green gold (could have also used my warm yellow - see the flower above).  I left the other half so you can see the difference.  I can glaze more if necessary, maybe with some red in some areas.