11/14/19

NCBG IEW October and November, 2019

I did a small pour with blue (ultramarine) in the bottom shadow area and removed a little masking.  This was before class


I painted some blue and dropped in red in some of the dark areas so that it would dry and I could remove the masking before the next demonstration in class.  I started making some dark spikes.


I removed more masking leaving some to show the removal during class.


I painted a few spikes using blue and mixed browns.  The browns were made with warm and cool red plus purple blue and green blue plus warm yellow.  I leaned one brown toward the blues and one toward the reds.  I also used the browns and purple blue to add shadow to the spikes and to start working the spikes into the composition.  When masking is used it makes hard edges all around and I find I must work it back in.  I painted a dark area at the top and painted the first coat on a chestnut.  I painted the chestnut by carefully dampening the area and dropping in the darker more blue brown on the left and dropping in the more red brown on the right. I let it gradate upward to tint some of the white textures at the top of the chestnut.  There is a lot more to do with basically the same processes.