11/1/18

BAL Mixed Media Oct. & Nov. 2018

I worked on the face a little lightening the light areas more.  I added some green to darken behind the sloth's face, will most likely darken this even more to create contrast.  I worked on the fur using cream, white, dark brown terra cotta, spanish orange, crimson red.  I worked in the direction of the fur using a stroke that created a line while still paying attention to the over values.  I started working on the branches adding some darks and lights.  I used white, dark brown, terra cotta, chartreuse, and for the dark I think I used indigo with dark brown...  I worked on a leaf using white, yellow chartreuse, grass green, and a dark for the veins (cannot remember what I used there, maybe dark brown).

I started working on him like I do all other pieces on a medium dark to dark background - I used white to shade the values (did not finish that part yet).  Then I added peach and then light peach and terra cotta and dark brown and indigo and a little scarlet lake so far.  I did some indigo and dark brown on his hat so far. as well as a little white for the highlight.  He has many more layers yet, I will demo in the next class.

An example but much further along with more layers and many more darks and lights.  Need to work on the ear and face surrounding the ear, the hat and the shirt and a little more elsewhere.  But it's far along in the process.