10/26/18

NCBG Intermediate Expressive Watercolor October & November 2018

Wet on wet watercolor.  I start very wet and progress towards less water as I work. The first pass was done by wetting the entire paper and dropping in light greens, yellow, blue.  The first pass can be seen inside the artichoke and is what was how the paper looked after the  first pass.  While wet I moved the paper around in order to move and mix the color.  I used a cleaned and dried brush to wick the color/paint from the highlight areas.  I kept doing this for a few minutes as the paint continued to move (you can see the marks from wicking at the tips of some of the artichoke petals).  I let the paper dry.  For the second pass I wet the background working in sections.  I started on the right side towards the middle where the leaf goes off the page and worked around counter clockwise.  I wet the paper to about the top left.  I dropped in a darker/more pigmented greens.  I stopped adding color before the wet edge ended and dotted in a cool yellow.  I then continued wetting the paper from the upper left wet edge down the left side.  I continued adding the greens, dotting with the cool yellow.  I let this dry.

I started working on the the petals.  I dampened the petal I chose to start with.  Dampening is wetting, but not as wet as when we did the first and second passes.  How much water is on your paper determines how the paint moves and how much the paint moves.  So for this I want it to be move a little and I want a little control - so I dampen rather then make it really wet.  Then I used the various mixed greens and some yellow and a little red to start lightly shading the petals.  I will do all the petals this way as well as the stem and leaves (will demo more next class).  I also showed glazing on this piece.  I glazed an area with blue, yellow and the top right with red (which is the easiest to see).  Glazing is used to alter a color, neutralize a color or change a color temperature.  Glazing is using a slightly pigmented color (lots of water and a little pigment) and painting an area that needs an adjustment or an enhancement.