11/2/18

NCBG IEW Oct. & Nov. 2018

Wet on wet (working wet to dry).  I finished adding a cool red glaze to the artichoke.

I softened the bottom stalk with water, a brush and a paper towel.  I added some more petals.  I dampened each petal before adding the color.  Dampening is wetting, but not as wet as when we did the first and second passes (a little less wet allows for more control).  Then I used the various mixed greens and some yellow and a little red to start lightly shading the petals.  I added a little blue green to the stalk and leaf. Then after all was dry, I started adding darks and gradations to the petals on the bottom right.  I worked mostly wet on dry, although some areas I will used wet on damp as well.

Wet on dry upright.  I worked on this upright working from the top down.  I used very thin color.  I used 2 browns, yellow and red.  I allowed the color to drip and run together.  I worked on the subject and background.  This pass is very light.

I used more pigmented color, but still on the lighter medium side of value.  I used a red (mixture of warm and cool red), green, purple and brown.  I started adding some of the darks and the seeds.  This will help me see the structure more, it's like making a road map.

Pouring.  I transferred the drawing and went over it with a number 2 pencil in some areas (so I would not lose the drawing).  I wet the paper with a spray bottle and poured using yellow and red.  I moved the paper around so the color would move and mix.  Test the paint in the bottle for how dark it is before using.  It should be on the lighter side.