11/16/18

NCBG IEW Oct. and Nov. 2018

I added a few more darks in the finished areas and worked on a few of the red seeds.  I added the red part below the more finished area by wetting the area, adding red, adding a mixed dark, lifting a highlight on the left side and then adding salt.  I will continue with the colors I have used already to finish this piece.

the poured piece with 2/3 masking removed.

The piece after several hours of time at home adding mostly values (lights scrubbed and darks painted) and a little color.

This is how it looked after class with the rest of the masking removed and more scrubbing and more painting of darks.  I have a bit more to do such as adding the darks in the gills and more darks elsewhere that are missing or not dark enough or that need a glaze of color.  After I add those I will set this painting up to look at over a week or two so I can find anything that I missed or that I need to adjust.

After transferring the drawing I wet the background, branches and leaves (everything except the flower).  I held the painting slightly upright and dropped in color and let it run.  I used gray green and yellow and then added and splattered some warm red as well as spots of water.  Then I laid it flat and added salt (when the paper was still shiny but not puddled).  After it was dry I removed the salt and ran water and a soft brush over the edge of the flower to soften the darker color that collected around some of the edges.  Later, after that was dry, I glazed the background with rich green gold (Daniel Smith).  I glazed it to tone down the texture.  I still wanted to see the texture, but needed it to be less busy.  Sometimes, for very busy backgrounds, I must gaze more than once.  After everything was dry I worked on the leaf next.  I did it in 2 sections.  For the top part I dampened the leaf (dampening is a little less water which comes with a little more control) and added green (mixed from warm yellow and blue that leans towards green).  While still damp I added a little dark in the dark areas, some red in the middle and some yellow near the edge.  On the bottom section of the leaf I dampened and added a blue green towards the tip and a regular green near the stem and yellow on the edge.  I left a space for the middle vein.  After the leaf was dry I lifted some veins with a soft brush, water and a paper towel on the leaf (may do more).  On the bottom leaf I added thin shadows under the veins and a thin shadow on the other side of the middle vein as well. I ran yellow down the middle vein and dropped little dots of green and red.  For the branch I mixed a brown leaning towards gray.  I dampened it and put the paint in on the dark side.  Later, after it was dry, I added more shadow and some texture. On the flower I mixed quin. rose with a little ultramarine blue.  I dampened the petal I chose to start and added the paint to the dark area letting it or helping it move outward.  I moved petal by petal moving around so petals could dry before working next to them (if that makes sense).  I then did a second pass on the dark petals in the middle.  I used a darker red made by adding a little green to the quin rose and ultramarine mixture.  Remember, Normally I would finish all the petals before a second pass and all the leaves, etc. before moving on and finishing them.  But for demonstration purposes moving on in a small area is necessary.  You can also work in a smaller area for learning purposes as well.