11/8/18

Art & Ale Acrylic and Colored Pencil

Acrylic on canvas.  I started by wetting the canvas and adding watered down ultramarine blue.  I used a damp brush to lift some of the paint making texture (larger texture on the bottom getting smaller as I moved up).  After drying I transferred the snowman. Then I used white and painted it on the left side watering it down/lightening it as I moved right.  Then I used ultramarine painting it on the right side watering it down/lightening it as I moved left.  I added a shadow under the scarf.  I then painted the scarf red, the hat green, the buttons black and the carrot orange. We will shade and add highlights to all of those next class.  We will add a shadows in the sow as well.

We started on the berries.  I put white on the white spots.  I then went over the berries with a reddish orange - pale vermilion, permanent red or poppy red (poppy red is not light fast) will work.  I then used scarlet lake, a wam red, to darken the berries (crimson red will work).  I worked around the white spots.  I used a colorless blender to smooth this out (a stump will work as well).  I then added more white in the white spots, indigo for the dark spots on the berries and then more white to shape the berries.  next we put chartreuse on the veins.  We will work on the leaves next class.