8/29/18

DAC CP ASO, 2018

Colored pencil on wood.  I started with dark brown and white and concentrated on the values - the darks and lights.  If you look at the bottom right section there is an area with the dark brown and white only.  If this were not a demonstration piece, I would finish the dark brown and white on the entire piece before moving on to the other colors and values.  After the brown and white I would start the red seeds.  The bottom right seeds are just started.  I used white, pomegranate and scarlet lake (a warm red and a cool red).  The next step would be to darken the darks on the pod.  I used a blue and a red brown (Copenhagen blue and terra cotta) added to the dark brown.  Brown and blue make nice neutral darks (and can make black depending on the brown and blue used).  The top left has some of the darks with the blue and browns.  I also worked more on the white and light areas.  I worked on the seeds again using both reds, white and a little Copenhagen blue in the dark areas. The top left seeds are further along.  I added some ginger root (you could use cream or white and dark brown mixed) and a little yellow chartreuse on the bottom part of the seed pod.  I used  some Terra cotta on the background to pop the light areas forward.