5/10/18

BAL Mixed Media May, 2018

Had worked on this with colored pencil and then decided that the background was too busy (it was pointed out that it looked like blood splattered which it did...).  So, I painted it with yellow, mostly warm yellow and a little cool yellow.  This pushed the texture back.  Remember each of these pieces is unique so your piece most likely will not need more painting to calm the texture.  I then used white and cream colored pencil to start adding the lights.  I will need to work on the values and details in the next class.

I worked on the leaves using white, canary yellow, Spanish orange, grass green, dark green and true blue, indigo.  True blue was put over the brownish background color at the top.  To unify and balance I started adding the true blue elsewhere.  I shaped the leaves with the white, greens and yellows.  Follow the values to get the leaves to curl as they do. I started working on the background leaves as well.  The dark leaves in the background add contrast and pop the front leaves forward visually.  I used white, cream, pomegranate and Copenhagen blue on the flowers so far (Copenhagen is a new purple-blue I have been enjoying.  Indigo or black grape will work in it's place).  I added some white on the front open flower and worked on the bud on the back right.  I also used cream on the white parts of the flower.