5/3/18

BAL Mixed Media May, 2018

Colored pencil over a watercolor and/or watercolor pencil colored and textured background.  First I wet the paper and dropped in color, splattered color, drew with watercolor pencils and then painted with water, sanded, etc.  (Sanding is grating watercolor pencil over wet paper).  After it was dry I transferred the drawing and started with white and crimson red colored pencil.  I then added black grape for a dark.  This is the very beginning of the process.

I transferred the drawing and then used watercolor and watercolor pencil.  I have done about 4 layers of color allowing it to dry in between layers.  The first layer was purple and pink all over the paper and especially on the flowers.  the second layer was the background behind the flowers and leaves with a dark green.  The third was the entire area around the flowers with green and warm yellow and with some splattered red. the fourth was a dark behind the flowers with watercolor pencil.  It is now ready (or very close to ready) for colored pencil.  I might add a few darks in the leaf areas with watercolor pencil.