9/6/17

Sertoma Continuing Watercolor September and October 2017

First I wet the red pepper (except the highlights), mixed a cool red and warm red (pyrrol scarlet and quin rose), and painted the pepper.  Then I wet the yellow pepper (except the highlights) and painted it yellow (a mixture of a cool yellow and a warm yellow).  While it was still wet I dropped in some red (red pepper mixture) and some green (the green was a mixture of pthalo and quin gold).  You can also do this in 3 steps -  Wet, paint yellow, let it dry.  Wet, drop in red, let it dry.  Wet, drop in green, let it dry.

Next, I wet the green pepper (except the highlights) and painted it green (same green mixture as above).  I added yellow green to the lighter areas and blue green to the dark areas.  I added some red (same red as above) in the dark areas and around the stem.  After the peppers were dry I wet the background.  I mixed a gray with the three primaries ( I mixed several grays and used them all).  Remember the color wheel and the color opposite on the color wheel neutralizes that color (example - green neutralizes red).  Also remember if you lean a color towards red or yellow it will look brown and if you lean it towards blue it will look gray.  After mixing the gray I wet the background again and started painting the background gray.  Then, near the top, I touched the background with a wet brush and created blossoms.  At the bottom I used a dry brush to life color.

This is the masking.

This is after the first pour.  I used red, yellow green and purple (I do not know what colors I used as these were premixed long ago).  To pour, wet the paper (I do this with a spray bottle), pour the paint, shake and tip the paper to get the paint to move.  You can also add color with a dropper/pipette.

I did a little more masking.  I poured a second time with blue, red, purple, and yellow green.  It also has a little rain texture added on the trip in the pouring rain to the car as well as a few blooms from the rain water.