9/5/17

DAC Beg. Colored Pencil, September 2017

A reminder that for demonstration purposes  I work on small sections but this is not the way I typically work.  I worked on leaves and the stem.  I used alternating layers of canary yellow and true blue first on the leaves,  Then I did a few layers of grass green and scarlet lake/pomegranate (either red will work).  Then I did black grape in the dark areas.  The leaf on the left shows what it looks like after those layers.  After that I used white to burnish the entire leaf.  Then using the colors I have already used I added in more darks and used white to make the light areas lighter.  I added color as I thought it was needed.  I drew in veins with a sharp white pencil followed by a line of shadow next to it with a sharp black grape pencil.  The leaf on the right shows what it looks like after burnishing and refining a bit.  The green on this leaf may need to be knocked back a bit with some red.

I worked on burnishing and refining the leaf on the left.  I also worked on the petals with layers of pomegranate and scarlet lake.  I burnished with white and then added more color as needed.  I used black grape, only a little to add shadows. The stem was layers of canary yellow, scarlet lake or pomegranate, and true blue with white to burnish and black grape as a shadow on the side.  The dark background was layers of scarlet lake and grass green.  Then I put back grape over the top.  I erased out a stem and leaf shape to show how to add these if you want to you background.  I may burnish at some point, possibly with a stiff brush, a stump, or the colorless blender.

I started working on the neck with the same layers of colors that we used elsewhere.  It is not complete yet (not enough dark values yet).