6/27/17

BAL CP Animals June 2017

Colored pencil on dark mat board.  I worked on the eye on the right side.  I need to finish the ears and lighten the entire thing and add shadows as needed.  Then I need to add cream to warm the white.

Colored pencil on colourfix sanded pastel paper.  I worked on the fur on the head and the long fur on the body.  When I do fur I make my strokes in the direction of the fur.  The pencil strokes vary depending on the length of the fur.  I go back and forth between dark and light as I layer.  I used Dark brown, cream, white, terra cotta/sienna brown, black.  I worked on the ear as well using white, true blue, pomegranate, terra cotta, dark brown, and scarlet lake.

Colored pencil on Borden & Riley Denril Vellum paper (or you can use Dura-Lar matte paper).  I did the majority of the work on the black and white side.  I need to add some white in areas but have not yet.

This is a photo of the black and white side after I applied color on the color side.


This is the color side.  I started work on this side by erasing the original traced pencil lines first.  Then I started shading color.  I used cadmium orange hue and Spanish orange for the fins.  I used true blue, canary yellow,  spanish orange, black grape on the white parts of the fish.  I used scarlet lake, black grape and true blue on the black parts.  You can use any colors you wish really. 

This is a photo from the color side after I placed a background behind the fish.  There are still some areas of the fish that are not completed yet, but this gives you the idea on how to finish.


Watercolor on Stonehenge paper.  This is the background I created for the fish with Pthalo blue.  I traced the fish, wet the paper outside the traces fish, dropped in color and guided it around, and then flicked water and blue paint.  In addition to watercolor backgrounds, I also make backgrounds with melted colored pencil and alcohol ink on yupo.