6/2/17

NCBG Advanced Expressive Watercolor June 2017

Wet on wet.  I transferred the drawing.  For the first pass of watercolor I wet the paper, dropped in color and tilted the paper upright to let the color flow. I let this dry.  Then I did little wet on wet sections in the painting.  I wet the smaller shapes and dropped in the color allowing it to mingle. The colors I have used are a mixed bright green (prussian, aureolin, rich green gold) and a mixed reddish purple (quin rose, ultramarine blue, a touch of green) and rich green gold.

Pouring.  I attached my paper to a stiff surface with rolled tape on the back of the paper.  I used jars of color thinned with water - yellow, a mixed reddish purple and a mixed orange.  For the first pass I sprayed the paper, poured the purple and yellow moving the paper around so the color could flow.   I continued to spray as needed to move the color.   If your piece has some whites, save those with masking before you pour.  After this was dry I used masking to save some of the light color from the original pour.  Then I poured again using the purple, yellow and orange in the same manner as the first pour.  After that was dry I used a mixed dark brown and a mixed tan color to start the pine cone painting.  I left the masking until after this round of painting.  I will remove it after this round is complete and dry.