6/9/17

NCBG AEW June 2017

Watercolor on Yupo.  First I covered the Yupo with medium dark paint, let it dry, then transferred the drawing with yellow transfer paper (white transfer paper would work as well).  Watercolor on Yupo takes awhile to dry and it moves and changes as it dries.  Next I used water, a paint brush, and a paper towel to start lifting out my drawing.  This takes a little practice.  You can lift a little or use the paper towel and lift it all.  Later, after it dries again, you can add color back into some or all of the lifted places.

Watercolor on Daniel Smith White Watercolor Ground.  I did this on foam core which does not require any primer before applying the ground.  However, I prefer to work on very stiff surfaces such as masonite. On masonite I prime first with Kilz II primer and apply the ground after it's dry.  I typically do 1-2 coats of the ground.  I allow it to dry 24 or more hours before using.  Then I paint as usual wet on wet, wet on dry, etc.  Like all new surfaces it has it's idiosyncrasies to adjust to.

Watercolor on watercolor paper.  This paper is 300 lb and "stretched" using rolled tape on the back (shown in class).  I also showed stretching 140 lb paper  - Wet  both sides of the paper, place it on your board, staple all around the edges, allow the paper to dry. You can tape on the edges around the paper to hold the staples in.  This painting was used for various demonstrations.  I used it to show rolled tape stretching, shading white, using white gouache, and how to soften edges and make changes  

Watercolor on watercolor paper.  This started with pouring, then masking, then a second pour, and now direct painting.  I worked more on the pine cone adding dark and medium values.

Watercolor on Golden Acrylic Absorbent Ground.  I did this on foam core which does not require any primer before applying the ground.  When transferring a drawing onto the ground, do not press hard with the pencil as it picks up the graphite very well.

Watercolor on Yupo.  I put a dark blue all over the paper and splattered other colors.