10/18/16

NCBG IEW October 2016

Pouring.  This is after the first masking and the first pour with yellow, orange, and red.
Pouring.  I did a 2nd masking of light areas.  Sprayed the painting with water and did a second pour with yellow, blue green, and yellow green.  I placed the colors.  Later I did a 3rd round of masking, spayed the painting with water, and poured red, yellow, and orange.  I placed the colors and then moved it around allowing the drips to spread and stay.  I wanted a messier under painting.


This is a light textured under painting and background for the mushroom.  I used light color and plastic wrap.

Sanding Textures. Left - I wet the paper with yellow color.  I then used watercolor pencils and scraped them onto the wet paper with a small strainer (can also use sand paper or an emery board).  Right - I scraped watercolor pencil onto a dry surface and them sprayed it with a fine mist of water. 

Plastic wrap and salt textures.  Left - wet the paper, drop in color, place the plastic wrap and scrunch it some.  The dark color will stay where the plastic touches the paper.  The light areas are the air pockets.  Right - Wet the paper, drop in color, when the paper is shiny but not a puddle sprinkle with salt.  Different sized salts make different textures.

Bubble wrap and wax paper textures.  Left - wet the paper, drop in color, place the bubble wrap on the paper and put something heavy like a book on top.  The dark color will stay where the plastic bubbles touch the paper.  The light areas are the air pockets.  This was really stiff bubble wrap and made a different texture then usual.  Right - wet the paper, drop in color, crumple the wax paper and place it on the wet surface and place something heavy like a book on top.  The dark color will stay where the wax paper touches the surface.  The light areas are the wrinkles/air pockets.

Rubber cement texture.  This has an older part of dribbled rubber cement and light greenish paint and splatters.  In class I painted some rubber cement with the brush in the bottle and then wet the paper and painted yellow on top.  It needs a few more layers of rubber cement and paint.  I typically do 3 - 7 layers.