9/13/16

BAL Colored pencil and Mixed Media, September 2016

Colored pencil on dark.  This will help when you use colored pencil over a medium to dark watercolor or acrylic background when we do the mixed media.  I transferred the drawings and then started with white. I did a value study of the flower in white (as you can see by the 2 outside petals I started).  I also did the middle of the flower in white, paying attention to the lights and darks, the values.  Next I used canary yellow over the all of the white. I reapplied the white to the lightest areas.  I then used scarlet lake on the shadows paying attention to the values and color. Next I used a warm yellow (could also use an orange or a light layer of scarlet lake and canary yellow) over the petals and middle.   

I used indigo blue and pomegranate as well as a little true blue so far.  I am doing a light  layer first, laying in the values as a road map of sorts.  I will do the body similarly to the head.  I also put canary yellow on the eye.