8/3/14

NCBG Drawing (8/2014)

Blind Contour (5 minutes).  This is the palm of my hand.  Draw slowly really looking at your hand.  Do not look at your paper.  Blind contours are amazing for warm up and to shift you into your 'right brain'.

Blind Contour (5 minutes).  This is the side of my hand

This is the symbol of a hand.  We must let go of the symbols and learn to really SEE to draw accurately.

Contour Drawing.  I measured, made some marks, mapping out the leaf.  I drew the leaf paying attention to relationships between the parts and the whole.Then I did a contour drawing.  Note the variation in value (light and dark) of the lines.

Contour drawing (not complete). This is partly mapped out and begun.

Mapping, step 1.  This was done on tracing paper.  I drew bare minimum, the structure, the 'bones' of the object.  I used a unit of measurement, in this case a ruler as the object was small and in my hand.  Remember that units of measurement can also be things such as leaves on your plant, or a specific stem for instance.  I used my pencil at times to determine correct angles.  I paid attention to proportions and how parts relate to each other.  Ignore all details and texture.  Take the time to get the correct proportions and angles here.   Really LOOK and SEE.

Mapping, step 2 - A second sheet of tracing paper is taped down over the first.  I can see the 'bones' and use those to draw the subject correctly.  I then drew the 'flesh' of my subject such as the walls of the pepper.  Ignore details and texture.  Really look and see your subject again.  Make any corrections. 

Mapping, step 3 - Add a third sheet of tracing paper is added.  Look and see your subject again.  Make any corrections.  Start adding details and texture.  Make this interesting and beautiful. 

The start to shading, we did not have time to get to this in class (I figured we would not...).  This is done on drawing paper.  First I added graphite to the paper to give it a tone (I shaded some pencil on and used a paper towel to smooth it out).  Next I transferred my drawing using transfer/graphite paper.  I then used my eraser to lift out lights and used my pencil to add darks.  This gives me at least 3 values and it a simple way to start shading.

Mapping, step 1.

Mapping, step 2

Texture rubbing.  Place paper over the object and rub a pencil on its side over it. 

Texture rubbing.