8/27/14

Mixed Media Sertoma (August 2014)

This is the dogwood that started out very chaotic and purple and yellow (rubber cement watercolor).  It has only a bit of the underlying design and color left and lots of pencil layers on top.  There is a little work left to do.  I did more work on this at home before class.

This has a watercolor background (painted after I transferred the dogwood) and white gouache on the petals.  I used pen & ink for the shading.  There is a little colored pencil on the background.  This was how it looked before class.

I added a bit more ink, some colored pencil (and melted small areas).  I needs more work.

I worked some on the pattern in the shirt with pen & ink and colored pencil before class.  I toned some areas of the background down with colored pencil.

I finished the pattern on the shirt and then added the highlights and shadows with white and black.  I worked a little on the hat (highlights) and worked on the face with white, light peach, peach, dark brown, and sienna.  I have started to put in the wrinkles and the mouth and the ear.  Need to do the hair with white and black colored pencil.  Have already added some pen & ink.  Overall it needs more work.

I did this at home so it could dry.  I started with masonite, primed with Kilz 2 primer.  I wet it and added acrylic splattering until it looked interesting.  I let it dry.  Then I transferred the drawing and used white to paint the highlights.  I let it dry.  Then I sprayed the surface lightly with water, added the Acrylic Ground for Pastel, and painted it around with a wet flat brush.  I then lightly sprayed again (to smooth it a bit) and let it dry.

I have now started with the colored pencil working especially on the head behind the eye.  I have used pomegranate, canary yellow, and white mostly.  I did a little on the beak with white and black and pomegranate and some on the background with dark green and indigo.  It all needs more work and refining.