10/15/20

NCBG ICP October, 2020

    

I demonstrated two methods for working with dissolved colored pencil.  We are working on hot press watercolor paper.  Other papers will work, but this is my favorite.  It can be a mid grade or student grade paper.  1. Shade several layers of colored pencil and then use rubbing alcohol and either a paintbrush (or a Qtip) to paint on the rubbing alcohol to dissolve and blend the colored pencil. This is shown on the right side of the mushroom.  2. Sand or grate fine particles of colored pencil into a container (I use jar lids) and add rubbing alcohol to dissolve the colored pencil.  Paint on the colored pencil and splatter it if you so choose.  This is shown on the left side and the stem and the splatters on the background.



I shaded another layer of colored pencil and then used the rubbing alcohol and a lovely pointed Qtip to blend it (called precision tip Qtips). 



Value side.  I worked on this between classes.  I added a little white and dark texture on the bend part of the stem and the top colored leaf edge to show adding texture.

Color side.  I demonstrated adding color on the bird 9it's not quite complete yet).  I used grass green, canary yellow, dark brown, burnt ochre, and indigo blue.  I also demonstrated adding texture to the top bed in the stem and the top colored leaf edge.  I used white on this side on the leaf edges and added yellow to make them more prominent.  I also added some white to some seeds to pop them forward and to add texture.