1/28/20

Sertoma CW Jan. and Feb. 2020

I worked on the face adding details and warm and cool shadows (with reddish brown and ultramarine blue).  I added lots of darks.  I also added texture to the mane and neck using a reddish brown.  I glazed the neck later with some warm yellow.  I have a little island formed near the eye that needs to be incorporated into the face.  It still has the first pass only on it.  The same for the light edge of the ear and the hair formed by negative painting.
I wet the right side of the background and dropped in various colors going from dark to medium value as it moved away from the area I wanted to highlight.  I need to add color and shift values to the left side as well as the bottom.  I then painted the red and purple grape on the left side.  I dampened each one and dropped in color.  I mixed the reds for the red grape and also added some purple.  I dampened the purple grape and dropped in a dark purple as well as some rose.  I made sure for each grape that I incorporated the hard white shapes back into the grape. Later I used gouache to add the waxy white that is sometimes on grapes (and blueberries).  I used the white gouache to also incorporate the whites and add new whites into the grapes.
I transferred the drawing and dropped in mixed skin color, LIGHT color (made with both reds, a warm yellow, and a tiny bit of pthalo blue which is not always needed).  I then dropped in the colors used to make the skin color.  I wanted a colorful, but light, background to start.