1/11/20

DAC MM Jan. & Feb., 2020


This is the start of the colored pencil over watercolor.  The background was made at home before class (so it would be dry for the demo).  It is an old painting of a cabbage that was not finished.  I added a medium dark green over the entire paper. I do not throw away unfinished or unsuccessful watercolor paintings.  I usually make them into something else.

I transferred the drawing using white transfer paper and started adding form and values with the white pencil only.  I use a stump to blend it as I work.The entire artichoke will be completed first with values using the white pencil.  From there we will add shadows and darks and some other color.
This is the background made in the class demonstration.  It has 2 layers of paint.  I started by wetting the paper and dropping in a mixed green.  After that dried I added another mixed green that leaned toward blue.  I did not wet the paper for the second layer because this paper lifts easily.  It's good to learn the characteristics of the paper you are working on.
This is a white gouache and watercolor painting.  It is a very similar process to the start of the mixed media project.  The background was made in two layers.  I wet the paper and dropped in some green and red.  After that was dry I added a darker green and speckled it with yellows in the background behind the artichoke. Then I started painting adding form with values using white gouache.  I added some dark red watercolor on one section.  After the white is done I will add shadows and darks.