11/2/17

Sertoma Continuing Watercolor October & November 2017

I added more of the background (with a little more work to do) and added bright yellow to some of the lemons.  I need to shade them still.  I also need to work on the leaves and stems still.  Will do this in the next class.  This piece has some unfinished areas.  I do this for demonstration purposes.  This is not the correct way to work.

The first thing to do is run a damp/wet brush all over the masking to soften the edges.  After that dried I started lightly painting and shaping some of the masking.  I still have a little more painting and shaping to do.  I scrubbed the table and did a glaze of yellow.  While it was wet, I added brown on the bottom edge and corner as it needed something.  This will also help to stop the eye from traveling off the page.  I painted the yellow over the shadow as well and blotted out a middle of the white part of the shadow (did not want it to be bright white).  I still need to add a dark to the background.   

I mixed a skin color - quin. rose and quin. gold. and a lot of water.  I then wet all the skin and did a light wash attempting to work around 2 highlights on her skin and 2 highlights in her eyes, 2 out of 4 is not bad...  I remixed the skin colors with a little more pigment to water ratio.  It was not dark, just a little darker than the first batch.  I started working on the shadow areas.   This was done wet on dry.  To soften an edge wet on dry - paint the darker area, clean your brush, dry it on the towel, and use the brush to pull the paint out to soften the edge.  This takes practice.  For the third pass I mixed a brown for the eyes and painted those working around the highlights.  I painted some skin color in the nostril and added some brown to the inside to darken it a little.  I used the same skin clor to work around the eye on the nose, eyes, mouth, and larger shadows (need to shadow the arm still).