3/29/17

DAC Intermediate drawing based WC plants March, April, May 2017

Leaf painting.  The first pass on the leaf painting are washes of yellow wet on dry.  This is a little dull compared to the original.  I used a warm and cool yellow.

This is the start of the second pass.  I mixed a green with prussian blue and lemon yellow.  I also used prussian blue.  I started painting the leaf paying attention to the values.  Then I used a little red to start making the brown spots and edges.  I will demo this more in class next week.

Sketchbook - blind contour, a useful warm up drawing exercise.   When doing this look at the subject, not your paper.  This encourages you to really LOOK at what you are drawing. 

Sketchbook - at the top are drawing exercises.  The bottom half are thumbnails.  Thumbnails are used to plan a drawing or painting.  They are very simple sketches. They help an artist work out composition, shapes, values, and sometimes color.

Sketchbook - The top right are drawing exercises done with watercolor and a paintbrush.  These are marks I most often use at the end of the painting to add detail and texture.  The rest are patterns/repetition exercises

Tree exercises.  I worked wet on dry and started with the clumps of leaves and then moved to the trunks and branches.  The one on the right has the start of pen & ink details and textures.  Notice the ground textures on the trees to plant them on the paper.

Tree exercises.  I worked wet on dry on the left and wet on wet on the right.  The tree on the left is blown with a straw (I also often use a blow dryer for this).  I started with a puddle on the trunk and blew the branches tilting the paper and adding little spots of puddle when needing to change direction or add another branch.  I also fix areas, add branches, etc. with a brush as needed.  The right side is wet on wet (got a little too wet).  The next step is to paint on top or to do Pen & ink on top.  I will show this one in the next class as there were questions. 

Tree exercises.  I worked wet on dry.  The tree on the left is blown with a straw (I also often use a blow dryer for this).  I started with a puddle on the trunk and blew the branches tilting the paper and adding little spots of puddle when needing to change direction or add another branch.  I also fix areas, add branches, etc. with a brush as needed.  I started adding texture with pen & ink.  Could also do this with a paintbrush and watercolor or just leave the tree as is.  The right side was made by starting with the leaf clumps  I used a few mixtures of green and yellow.  I added the trunk and branches second allowing the paint from the leaf clumps to bleed into the brown.

Tree exercises.  I started these trees with a pen & ink contour drawing first and then added color with watercolor.  Next I added texture with pen & ink.  After the texture I would add more color with watercolor. 

Tree exercises.  Worked wet on dry.  Made the leaf clumps and added the trunk and branches and bottom grass while the leaf clumps were still wet.  This needs more details and values with watercolor.  

Tree painting.  I drew the tree.  My first pass is wetting the branches and dropping color into the wet areas.  I can demo this more in class if there is time.