3/13/14

Continuing Watercolor (Mar. & Apr. 2014)

I started with the leaves.  Wet each side and drop in color - green (indigo and aureolin) and a bit of red (perm. alizarin) plus yellow (aureolin) down the middle.  Later, after it was dry, I went back on a few and started adding darks to add form to the leaves.  One leaf on the left has salt which can be added for texture.  For the flower I first painted a very light permanent alizarin.  After it was dry I went back and started adding dark values (with alizarin and a mixture of alizarin and green to darken the alizarin)

I wet the middle of the tomatillo.  I used two mixtures of green (pthalo blue and aureolin, aureolin and cobalt) and dropped them in leaving it almost white near the stem.  I dropped in a dark  for the shadows and spots.  I added a shadow below the tomatillo as well, wetting it first.