9/5/13

Exploring Gouache (August 2013)

Local Color Gouache.  On this one I showed how to use white over a dark area to change it.  I then added the red color over the entire area.  It now needs yellow/orange and some refining.

Value Study Gouache.  I added the yellow over this.  It will need more red and the highlights strengthened and then some refining.

Gouache over a dark texture background.  I worked on the body with white getting the first layer on.  I will add a few details to 'imply' feathers.   A little more yellow might be nice in a few areas.  The entire piece needs a few more details and adjustments, but it is close to complete.

Gouache on white paper.  I started by wetting the background and adding the blue (it was indigo and white).  I allowed it to dry.  I added yellow to the petal.  After it was dry I added darks to the petal (I only did one petal because it's a demo). The darks were a red and a purple color.  I added a dark purple to the middle (would do this after finishing the petals if this was not a demo).  I then added yellow to the petal over the darks as well as some white in the light areas.  I added yellow as a highlight in the middle.  I also added red and blue.  I then added some of the dark purple back in.  I added these colors as 'squiggles' to imply the texture of the middle.

White gouache over a dark background I have started adding white, paying attention to the values, over the textured watercolor background.  I can leave it as white or add color over it later - my choice.