9/20/13

Continuing Watercolor (S/O 2013)

Transfer the drawing, wet the middle section and drop in vibrant color.  I used quin. rose, perm alizarin, and new gamboge.  Then I mixed a dark brown (indigo and burnt sienna).  I added the dark brown on top paying attention to the values (I dotted in in).  Then, I added salt (regular and sea salt) when the paper was shiny\, not puddles..  Then I wet the background and added blue (cobalt).  When the paper was in the 'danger zone (almost dry and will create blossoms when you go back in with a wet brush), I went in with a wet brush to make blossoms in order to add texture.  After the paper was dry I worked on a petal.  I slightly dampened the petal, added new gamboge.  While still wet I added the red-brown mix from the center to make the stripes.  I also used a dried brush to life some light areas.

Reference photo

First wet the paper, then I added blue and yellow (cobalt and aureolin).  I splattered some as well.  After this was dry, I transferred the drawing.  I dampened the face area and painted in the values of his skin with sienna brown and a little of the dark brown (sienna and indigo).  After that dried I dampened the hat and painted in the values of the hat.  I used a mixture of cobalt and quin. rose. 

Reference photo