5/30/13

Continuing Watercolor (May/June 2013)

I started working on the petals.  I wet just the petal I was working on, dropped in the color (paying attention the the values).  I skipped around on petals, not working on any side by side.  I mixed an orange (rose and new gamboge) and added it to the center.  I worked on a water drop (it's all about the light and darks).  I then mixed a dark (I used pthalo green and rose) and a medium green as well (pthalo and rose, but less rose).  I wet an area and dropped in the dark.  I did the dark to show you where this will go, but this can be done after the first pass of color and value is complete or near the end of the painting.

I worked a little more on the feathers on the body and added more blue feathers to the back and the wings.

I worked with white gouache adding whiskers, white hairs, and making the edges of the body less hard edged and more textured/soft.