5/8/13

Continuing Watercolor (May/June 2013)

On the initial pass, I transferred the drawing, wet the paper, dropped in color and added salt when it was wet, shiny but not a puddle.  The colors I used first were cobalt, aureolin yellow, sap mixed with yellow, permanent rose, and a tiny bit of indigo.  After it was dry (or mostly dry) I mixed a dark with indigo, sienna brown, and rose.  I painted the eye and the beak, paying attention to the lights and darks.  I also painted a few feathers with the dark and a little rose.  I added some feathers with an orange mix and new gamboge..  I used sap mixed with new gamboge and pthalo blue mixed with pthalo green (for the turquoise) to paint the head.

On the initial pass, I transferred the drawing, wet the paper on the tiger only, dropped in color and added salt when it was wet, shiny but not a puddle.  The colors I used first were rose and new gamboge mixed  and separate as well as some burnt sienna.  After this dried I wet the background and dropped in color - a sap and new gamboge mix and turquoise made from pthalo green and pthalo blue.