10/15/21

Zoom Mixed Media October, 2021

 



The background made before class.

I transferred the drawing and did another layer of watercolor.  

I mixed a purple (ultramarine + quin. rose).  I painted the purple color onto dry watercolor paper.  While it was still wet I dropped in ultramarine and a little phthalo on the back of the head.  I dropped in rose and a little pyrrole scarlet on the front of the hair.  I painted the purple onto the shirt and dropped in ultramarine blue on the right and pyrrole scarlet on the left.  I pained the shadow areas of the small piece of cloth on the left shoulder using the purple.

I mixed a red orange color (pyrrole scarlet + permanent yellow deep).  I painted all of the skin with this color.  I used this to warm the skin up due to the colors I used for my background.  I makes the skin go towards the actual color of the skin and it makes the woman appear as if she is forward in the picture plane.  If your background is already warm you can skip this part or you can add a glaze of purple, blue, or green into the dark parts of the skin.

After this was dry I started using the white and black pens.  This photo is as far as i got.  If I work on this at home I will record and send a link for those who want to watch.  I will take photos and post as i get further along.  Next class will be colored pencil and maybe more watercolor before we start if I decide it's needed (and maybe to show you how that looks if I decide it's not really necessary).