8/21/21

Zoom Mixed Media August, 2021

 

This is the piece after the Zoom class ended.  I had worked on this before class on the left side, the smaller mushrooms and a little of the background.  During class i worked on the middle top two mushrooms and the middle bottom on the stems and adding in the shadow as well as the right side background.

At this point in the process, when the wet mediums are completed, I start working dry with the colored pencils.  I focus on the values, the highlights usually first and the darks usually second with the medium values mixed in as needed.  I establish the values and after that start adding details.  I also consider color with the values, but it is less important than the values.  The values are the structure.

For demonstrations in classes, I work in small areas.  But my typical way to work is all over the piece bringing it up to completed as a unit.

The main colors I used were white and cream as well as indigo blue and dark umber, so 2 light colors and 2 dark colors.  I also added some colors for color such as burnt ochre, canary yellow, Spanish orange, pale vermillion, true blue, 50% warm grey (not sure if i missed any...).  As I finish I will add colors if necessary, but these will be the main colors.  

I will use a drawing stump to blend and an eraser to remove areas or make textures.  I will also work on the edges and the background as I go.