5/7/21

NCBG Beginning Colored Pencil May, 2021

 

Step 1 - Using White I added in the light value areas, with a light touch, in layers building up to the lightest area.  I used the side of a sharpened pencil to keep my touch light.

Remember this is an under drawing or the first pass, we will be adding more white throughout the process as we adjust values.


Step 2 - Using Indigo Blue I added in the dark values with a light touch in layers building up to the darkest value (but not quite as dark as shown in the photo).  I used the side of a sharpened pencil to keep my touch light.

Remember this is an under drawing or the second pass, we will be adding more dark values throughout the process as we adjust values.

I demonstrated using the stump to blend the layers as well as cleaning the stump between uses with sandpaper or a sanding block.


The next step is adding color.  

For the fig - I added Canary Yellow over the entire fig (except on the one highlight) and on the partial fig at the bottom.

For the branch - This has several light layers.  I often add colors on the bottom layers to add warmth, richness, and to make it more interesting and varied.
1. I used warm yellow (Spanish Orange) and added some of that lightly to areas that looked yellow in the photo.  
2. I used warm red (Scarlet lake) and added some lightly to areas that had a reddish tint in the photo. 
3. I used a warm brown (Burnt Ochre) and did a light to medium layer over the entire branch.
4. I used a dark brown (Dark Umber) to add dark values.
5. I used White to re-establish the highlights and light areas as needed.

These are the beginning layers of color.  There will be more to come in the next class.  




This is the demonstration piece from class.  

I added the color to the piece I started before class.  I can demonstrate adding the color again on this as needed.