11/15/20

NCBG MM Oct. & Nov. 2020

 

For this value underpainting I mixed a gray blue color using 3 primaries with a little extra blue (I used pyrrole scarlet, indanthrone blue, and permanent yellow deep).  

I first painted the dark shadow on the bottom.  I wet the shadow area only and dropped in the dark pigment.  

Next I wet the the background on the top portion, dropped in a slightly lighter version of the color (added a little more water to lighten the color).  I then placed plastic wrap on the wet paint and scrunched it creating shapes.  I left it on until it dried. 

The plastic wrap allowed paint to wander into areas on the onion and stems.  I used a scrubby brush to remove these.  I left the paint that went under the plastic wrap on the stem areas.  

After that dried I wet the shadows on the onion and added a light version of the color.  I dropped some darker color at the bottom and let it spread a little.

Using white, scarlet lake, pomegranate/crimson lake, indigo, black grape, spanish orange  I started working on the petals - adding value and detail as well as reshaping and refining.  I worked on the middle area and a few petals out from there.

Using white, grass green, dark green, indigo, canary yellow, yellow chartreuse, and spanish orange I started working on the leaves.  I working on the bottom left leaf.

I worked on more of the scales with colored pencil.

I worked on this a little more.

**These photos were taken with my good camera in good lighting.  I was unable to use my good camera in this class until today (it was out of commission for the past few months).  So these are the most correct photos as far as color and value.