11/7/20

NCBG MM Oct. & Nov., 2020

 

I added the background to the under painting.  I wet the paper around the flower, dropped in color.  When it was still wet, but not puddles, I added the salt.  I used course sea salt, but you can use table salt, etc.  After it was dry, I glazed the background with yellow to tone the texture down a little.  In the next class we will add colored pencil on top. As I get further along I will evaluate the background and decide it it needs to be adjusted.


I started the ink portion of the process.  I used a black ink pen to organize the darks, to add texture, and make some areas darker.  I used the white pen to add white to the light areas.  I also started adding texture to the branch.  I most often use a very scribbly ink stroke.  With time you will figure out what works for you as far as ink strokes.

On the bottom pine cone, I added colored pencil to the scale.  I used white, olive green, dark brown and indigo.  You can use these colors or choose colors that work for your piece.

On the top right pine cone, I started adding colored pencil in several places. There is one scale that has purple, this has the most colored pencil.

Remember I used white and then added color to fix a background  area I had accidently made dark.  White is a useful pencil to have for fixing things.  Also remember I added a small amount of colored pencil in a similar pattern as the watercolor to pop a few areas.  I will do this all the way through while working on this piece.    

A close up photo.

A close up photo.


In this piece I am focusing on using watercolor for the background and ink for the details.  I am tinting it with colored pencil.  I demonstrated the branch texture, which is organized scribbles.