3/17/20

Wake Forest Acrylic Class

I made the background by dampening the canvas and dropping in the color.  I added some water at the top to create the light effect.  I added salt to make the texture..  After the background was dry I transferred the turtle outline, mixed a brown (the 3 primaries leaning towards red and yellow), and painted the turtle brown.

I transferred the turtle details with white transfer paper.  Using white with a little warm yellow added we put in the highlights and light values.  With a mixed dark (brown with some black) I painted the shadows and darker values.
I continued with white adding highlights (it still needs more, especially on the head) and with a dark adding shadows, especially in the neck and under the shell on the underside of the turtle.  I mixed a reddish brown and glazed most of the turtle with this color. I also started adding details.
 
I dampened the canvas and added a light gray into the sky and halfway down, making it darker at the top.  I mixed a blue and made values with white and black and started painting the mountains.

Using a sponge and thinned white paint I sponged transparent white over the sky and mountains to soften the edges and textures as well as to lighten it.  I did this in thin layers.



before adding the foreground vegetation I glazed the sky and mountains with a thin transparent red.  After that was dry I mixed various greens and added it at the bottom working up and also adding yellow here and there.  I spritzed a fine mist of water to keep things wet as I was working on both the palette and canvas.  I then mixed red into the green to make a few browns.  I added those at the top, dropping in red in some areas.  Using a small brush I made the top textured with vegetation.