3/6/20

NCBG Gouache, March, 2020

I started this by transferring the drawing and painting in the solid local color with watercolor.  After that dried I started painting the highlights and light areas with titanium white gouache mixed with a little warm yellow into the flower (I added warm yellow to the white since titanium is very cool). I then mixed a dark red color which can be done by adding a little of it's compliment, green, to the red.  Next I started painting the highlights and lights on a leaf and mixed a dark green (by adding a little red, it's compliment).  I also showed glazing on the bottom leaf on the right side.  I used a very thin yellow and painted that over the leaf to warm it up.

I posted this to remind you that the background you make for the next project needs to be medium-dark to dark.  It will make the next step easier.  If your first pass is not dark enough you can do another layer or two over the top.  let them dry completely between layers.