3/19/19

Jackson, TN Colored Pencil and Mixed Media 2 day workshop March 2019

Colored pencil on a clue-green mat board.  I started with white and did a value study first.  Then I added the color.  I used peacock blue, aquamarine, white, spanish orange, peach, black, burnt ochre, coppenhagen blue.  I work in light layers building the color and value.   I press hard towards the end if needed.  I work on the whole piece building it up.  In class I work in smaller areas for demonstration purposes.

Mixed media on watercolor paper. We used Winsor & Newton cold press 140 lb., but I use many brands, sometimes hot press and sometimes 300 pound.  This was taken with a different camera in different light than the next photo so there will be variations in color and value.  This was the piece after I had done the watercolor background (wet the paper, did some sanding with watercolor pencils and dropped in some salt - see texture handout for more instructions).  Then I started working on values with pen & ink - both a white and black pen using scumbling and pointillism/stippling.  I could finish this with the pen&ink at this point and not add colored pencil as it's a nice piece.

This has more pen&ink and some colored pencil.  So far I have used white, terra cotta, black, scarlet lake, peach, true blue.  I may add more color and definitely need more values/contrast and details. But it's coming along.

For this mixed media I did watercolor first, pen & ink second and colored pencil last.